it's the journey

it's the journey

Monday, May 21, 2012

Thank you Mrs. Welborn

Aly and her beau went to the peach orchard this weekend and picked some lovely fresh peaches which she later transformed into delicious cobbler.  Watching Aly work her magic in the kitchen took me back to a time long ago...

When I was a young girl, there was a huge white farm-style house with a pristine lawn and white picket fence, just down the road from us.  I was fascinated by it, and one spring day, I took it upon myself to meet the occupant.  Peeking through the fence, I saw a gray-haired lady working in the flower bed and called out to her in the cheeriest voice I could muster.  She opened the gate, invited me in with a big grandmotherly hug, and we became instant friends.  

Mrs. Welborn had a large strawberry patch behind her house and I earned lots of quarters picking berries every June.  I spent many hours, helping her with her yard work, and afterwards, we’d retire to the squeaky white glider on her porch.  There she served up good old-fashioned conversation and an endless supply of ice cold lemonade in bright aluminum tumblers.  
She was an excellent cook and would occasionally invite me into her kitchen to sample a slice of one of her homemade pies.  My favorite was her chocolate pie, so one day I asked her for the recipe. Mom and I have been making it ever since, and it’s a must at every holiday meal at the Sykes house.  
Looking back, I’m not sure how much Mrs. Welborn really needed my help, but I certainly needed her.  Mrs. Welborn happily spent hour after hour investing in me, a little girl who had no grandmother living close by.  She taught me a little about gardening, how to pick the perfect strawberry, and how to make my now “famous” Iron Skillet Chocolate Pie.  


Thank you to all the "Mrs. Welborns" out there. Your kindness, your generosity and the memories you help create will always be remembered. 


Who would you love to go back and say thank you to?



Iron Skillet Chocolate Pie
pie
1 baked pie shell
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
3 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp butter
3 egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue)
1 cup milk
vanilla to taste

Mix sugar, flour and cocoa in a small mixing bowl.  Melt butter in an iron skillet over medium/low heat.  Stir in sugar mixture till well blended.  In a separate bowl, beat eggs yolks, add milk and blend well.  Add the egg and milk mixture to the sugar mixture in the skillet a little at a time, stirring constantly.  cook slowly while stirring until thick.  Remove from heat, add vanilla and allow to cool slightly before pouring into a baked pie shell.

meringue



reserved egg whites

1/8 tsp cream of tartar

2 tbsp sugar


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Beat egg whites with hand mixer on high until stiff white peaks form.  Add cream of tartar and sugar.  Top pie with meringue and bake for 8 minutes at 400 or until golden brown.  Allow pie to cool before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment