it's the journey

it's the journey

Friday, May 18, 2012

Clean Sweep



When we moved to Texas I told myself I HAD purged my closet of all unnecessary items before we moved.  Well, I was kidding myself.  Day after day, I would have to dig through my closet searching for this blouse or those pants.  There was just too much stuff.  Every few weeks or so I’d say, I’m going to clean out the closet this week... sometimes I’d even make a half hearted attempt and toss away a thing or two.  Well, yesterday was D Day!  I got out of bed and tackled the job before I’d even had my coffee.  Four bulging trash bags later I was a little sweaty and disheveled, but so gratified!  It felt SOOOO good!  Why had I put the task off for so long?  My mornings will be so much more peaceful.  

Why are we so compelled to hang on to our “junk,” not just the material, but the spiritual and emotional as well? There are things we know we need to get rid of, like worry, unforgiveness and jealousy.  They’re useless things, they crowd out all the good and cause us nothing but heartache.  Trust me, we’re never going to need them!  It’s time to let them go, give them all to Jesus, he’ll gladly take them off our hands.  Just think how good it will feel!


Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Hebrews 12:1

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Tanya, what a great post. I am one of those that says I am going to clean out the clutter, but find that when I throw things away (or give things to God), I always seem to take it back......rehang it in the closet of my mind & sadly cling to it in my heart. I find that my eyes can see the opportunities that God puts before me, more clearly, when I stop holding on to clutter, and give myself entirely to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Beth. I think it's a battle we all fight. God bless you on your journey.

    ReplyDelete